In class we produced our own sketch notes, and while mine is not near perfect, I think it’s a pretty good example of how sketch notes helps us retain information that is important to us.

The below example is one of the ones Rich provided us in the sketch noting activity, and I really love the comprehensiveness of the tips in the sketch note. At first glance, I think it’s cluttered, but when you’re the one creating it and going through the process, it is more than just the result on the page.

Sketchnote courtesy of Rich McCue

I found that sketch notes are about the process, rather than the product. Through the activity in class, we were to read an article and create our own sketch notes based on information within that was important to us. The thought process that goes behind picking out important information in the activity is really what was key to getting me on board with this activity, because in order to pick out information that is important, you have to process that information and then select information. It’s very intentional in what you end up putting down on the page, and really very selective with the information that is deemed important.

If this had been taught to me when I was in middle school, I may have spent more time on the lecture information and less time in my sketchbook, as I could have had a technique to meld both of these interests.