This week’s class was probably one of my favorites of the semester. I learned how to code HTML very basically years ago as a way to personalize my Tumblr blog, which is probably pretty lame to admit. Because it was of personal interest to me, though, I was invested in it, and while I’ve lost a lot of that skill, I definitely found that it helped me with certain aspects of this class.

I found this activity on hourofcode.com, which uses HTML to bake a cake. The various multimodal aspects of the activity are so much fun, and I really love the videos that very simply explain how to code in HTML.

Here are the final two activities recorded using Screencastify.

This is such a fun, unique way to get students interested in coding. I was having fun with it because while I don’t hate coding, I enjoy cakes and decorating cakes, and it was really cool for me to see how the different coding techniques used were able to change the cake. I also really liked the scaffolding of the lesson, as it started with very simple concepts and got increasingly more difficult.

Also, I’m sorry if there’s no audio available in the screencastify recordings – I’m not sure if it records audio!