This week I actually have a few resources, because I carried them over from doing the unit plan. When I was creating my rubric I needed some sort of guidance, and these three resources really helped me with the creation of my rubrics.

The first is from Royal Roads University and discusses how to write effective assessment criteria. The second is from Brown and is a simple resource for language surrounding the levels of your rubrics. The final is from Emerald Publishing, adapted from George Brown, and discusses in detail about outcomes based approach and assessment criteria.

I think these resources helped me so much with my rubrics, and really helped me understand what I was trying to focus on with my learning outcomes. The examples within the Emerald Publishing resource of learning outcomes was basically exactly the three part learning outcomes that we use within our class, and I found that even more helpful, because I was able to see how those three part learning outcomes were applied within a rubric.

Another point that I really liked was to make the criteria available to students before they do the assignment or test, which both the Royal Roads and Emerald Publishing resources mentioned in some way. I think this should be standard practice, because it can be really challenging (especially at the university level, my cohort found this semester) to have expectations not be clearly outlined to us. It makes it guess work for us to figure out what we’ve missed in our assignment.